Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cornel West

I went and saw Cornel West speak tonight.

Before the speech there was a small round table dinner where professors talked about Cornel West.

There was a philosophy professor there that spoke for 15 minutes and mentioned three times he went to Harvard.

Then we went over to the building where he was speaking.

I was sitting next to a kid that I never met before.

We sat and talked for like twenty minutes.

He kept telling me how he was confused about which philosopher was right, how there was no clear right and wrong, and how he couldn't pick a major and couldn't figure out what he wanted to do with his life.

Then we talked about Sartre and he said he didn't believe humans were in angst.

I said, "You just spent the last twenty minutes talking about how you're confused."

Then he got really pissed and starting saying fuck and talking loudly and it almost seemed like he was going to get violent.

Then the speech started and Cornel West was awesome.

There were three older black women sitting to next me that kept making church noises, raises their hands to God, and generally going nuts with emotion.

It was awesome.

It was funny though, because they didn't really know what he was talking about at times, they were reacting to his inflection most of the time. And at one point Cornel West screamed, "HISTORY WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!" Referencing the economic depression and shit eventually happens no matter how awesome you think you are. And the woman was like, "Amen."

Then West talked about Chekhov and Dostoevsky and that was awesome.

Everybody walked away really happy

9 comments:

ryan manning said...

i like cornel west a lot

big ol' queen said...

I love Cornel West; he rocks.

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. I want to see Cornel West speak...

One of the only 'true' public intellectuals in the united states of amorica.

cory said...

the asian fyodor dostoyevsky.

plastic bag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
plastic bag said...

one time i went to a one woman play about emily dickinson. the middle-aged woman i sat next to put her hand on my arm and told me the internet would ruin me someday.

adam said...

Emily Dickinson has ruined me.

Anonymous said...

nWo 4 life!!!!!!!!

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,