"A civilization, like a human being, has a will to live, but it may also arrive at the neurotic condition of having a will to die. Medieval civilization in the half century after 1270, by its violence, extremism, and suicidal destruction of its fundamental values, manifests such a will to destroy itself, just as in the early middle ages, against enormous material obstacles, it had exhibited a will to live. What was the origin of the neurotic death wish of medieval society? As is the case with neurosis of individuals, it was the result of repression. The continual repression of difficult and insoluble problems may eventually reach a point where these become no longer conflicts which can be put aside, and the consequence is a sudden and debilitating breakdown. This is what happened to medieval civilization. The creativity of the twelfth century had posited certain conflicts of the most fundamental kind which have never been resolved in human society and thought; the conflict between revelation and science, the conflict between sacerdotal authority and the freedom of individual religious experience, the conflict between hierocratic authority and the sovereign state. During the first seven decades of the 13th century medieval civilization made the most strenuous efforts possible to resolve these conflicts. The men of the new generation of the later 13th century found it impossible to maintain the slender web of subtle compromise which the two previous generations had painfully constructed. The new world order which had been created in the early and middle 13th century was so finely balanced that they found it impossible to sustain. They wanted to end the exhausting repression of conflict which had been built up from 1198 to 1270; they sought an aggressive breakthrough to a clear and affirmable extreme. They wanted science or revelation, personal piety or sacerdotalism, the sovereign state or hierocratic supremacy. They wanted to end the complexity, the subtleties, the compromises, the intricacies of medieval civilization. They wanted to affirm some fixed and identifiable extreme which could be a new starting. They willed, in other words, the death of medieval civilization, which had become an impossible burden, one could not bear."
I think America is neurotic.
We haven't resolved certain thingss:
1. We are constantly faced with science, but still believing in God is promoted. The main difference in a God system and an atheist system, is that one can free oneself from responsibility in a God system, and if one chooses to be without God they must claim the Sartrean morality that what one does, they think everyone should do, that we are only behavior and responsibility. But instead we have most people having no God, and not knowing they are atheist, and choosing to gamble in Las Vegas and spending their money on big screen on HD televisions. Since we refuse to let God go, no new morality has been supplied to replace the old morality of irresponsibility
2. We will not concede to genetic influence of behavior or existence precedes essence. The psychology professors that have taken over the laws of the Will will not concede to one point. Some believe in bio-Darwinism and some believe in cognitive-behaviorism. Both contradicting views, but somehow taught in our universities and on our televisions subliminally at the same exact time, both given equal measure. At Youngstown State University, and I would bet in many colleges, there are professors that teach both behaviorism and bio-Darwinism, and the professor does not even know that they are teaching contradicting views. (It must also be said what existence precedes essencee implies before anyone writes something in the comment box. Existence precedes essence does not involve fight or flight instincts or any little things like that. It implies that if a human is raised by a Muslim family they will probably refer to themselves as Muslim. If a person is raised in a culture where everyone eats with forks, they will probably eat with forks and not chopsticks. If they grow up seeing their mother sniff coke every time she gets stressed out, they might do that also, maybe in a different form, like drinking or pill abuse, but the thing is that they are running from their problems.) The difference is this: Bio-Darwinism says that we do things because of our parents or race, which negates responsibility. While existence precedes essence says we do things because we learn them but at the same time, since they are not concretely placed in our genetics, we can change our behaviors through choice and changing of environment.
3. Democracy allows every one to have a voice, but at the same time it cancels out everyone's voice in the process.
4. Capitalist countries have rich people. Those rich people pay the majority of the taxes, the logic implies that since they pay the majority of the taxes the government which is mostly funded by them must do what they would like. People assume it the lobbyist and campaign donations that create this problem, but it starts with the taxes.
5. A problem that has been with us a long time if you have studied the history of national parks and the people involved with making them and sustaining them. But isn't making a mainstream appearance until now. Does mankind have a right to destroy nature for the sake of his or her happiness? But can lead to in the future huge environmental problems.
6. Does one person have the right to have billions or be born with millions in a nice neighborhood. While another is born into a neighborhood of poverty stricken drug addicts and violent behavior. And while many work hard for barely any money at all and no health care.
7. Do the surrounding of oneself with purchased objects make one happy?
These are deep philosophical problems that plague our country. We have been repressing them for years and because of that, we have become neurotic. We are an insane population, festering with mental illness.
I think people want this to die. They aren't caring on purpose, they want some side to win and take over and give them a clearer mind and direction. The Nebraska Redneck and the NYC hipster liberal are both choosing to be equally oblivious to the oil and natural gas situation because they see it as a way out of these dilemmas. This society contains at least seven philosophical problems if not more, and this is causing everyone to go nuts and not to be happy, even if they do have electricity and an efficient sewage system.
People are not ignorant or lazy concerning the oil crisis. The information is there, and the logic is there. By the fact that it is there and they are avoiding the behaviors to fix it or even learn about it, shows that they are choosing or willing the death of our civilization because they do not care about maintaining it anymore. Because they do not actually enjoy the results. And they do not like the contradictions they must live with on a daily basis.