Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Can a person quote a blogger in a book and if a blog post is deleted is it like a tree that fell in the forest and no one ever heard or doesn't exist

I want to write this book about history.

I want to use quotes:

But there are some quotes from people that aren't famous awesome philosophers but people that live and eat still and have blogs.

I like what Jereme Dean wrote about Idea and perspective. He commented, "Perspective is unique, ideas are not." And go on about how perspective and minutia became important in writing.

But Jereme Dean is a not a famous writer or philosopher and not taken seriously by a community of people who take themselves very seriously.

Also Tao Lin wrote a really good line on his blog, I cannot quote it, because he deleted the blog post. So does that quote really exist or doesn't it, because it is deleted and now exists nowhere. Maybe it is exists on a word document. And Tao Lin isn't taken seriously as a real human being either by people who take themselves seriously.

Bernice who I live with and doesn't have a blog, she doesn't even have myspace one day told me a really good thing about how people get paid more based on the amount of magic they do. Like an engineer gets paid more than the coal minor because in terms of tribal economics and our own the engineer is doing magic and the coal minor is doing a form of hunting.

Which could also apply to professions like teacher and office worker. Reading for a long time was done mainly by priests so people view reading as some form of magic.

What I mean by magic is the manipulation of nature. Those who manipulate nature more get paid more. In our terms, those who are more skilled get paid more. But in tribal terms those who use the most magic, the shamans and the females who did the crafts and cooking had more tribal power.

Most people do not know but females had more power in tribal societies, it wasn't until people had time to sit around and make calenders that they figured out sex made pregnancy. Which came shortly after a society took on agriculture and ownership. The men ran the farms and became more magical than the women, and therefore more powerful. Even though they think it was women who detected the possibility of agriculture.

But that all comes out of a conversation with Bernice at Chili's on some random Monday.

So has anyone ever read a non-fiction book where the author goes, 'One my friend Bill made this great point and I had to add into this about book how teenage suicide became sexy during the Clinton Era?'"

7 comments:

jereme said...

Well you can perform some mind trickery.

I see it done all the time in hollywood.

You could say, "My award winning novelist friend believes ...."

That can be Tao. You aren't lying but it puts Tao in a shade that serious assholes would identify with and continue reading.

Otherwise, I think you're writing a biography. Those often have stories with quotes from random other people that matter to the author but not necessarily matter to society as a whole because they are not super beautiful or did not invent something stupid like MTV Road Rules or won the lotter by pure chance.

brian salchert said...

Guess it depends on what your
goal is, but every human has
a history.

If you are not already doing it,
this suggestion:
Get a spiral notebook. On a day
when you plan to use it, write the
date (5-5-08 say) in the margin.
One of the ways you could use it
would be for keeping a record of
online statements: what was said,
who said it, where it is.

Since you intend to write a book,
you may want a notebook just for
things you might include in that
book.

traxus4420 said...

anecdotes are only unacceptable in academic history books. history written about in the new york times uses anecdotes. serious history written in the '50s for a popular audience uses anecdotes. i think they do/did it to express a certain persona, like 'journalistic authenticity' or 'patriarchal wisdom' or 'i'm just like you, new york times readers.' academics are the only ones who will judge your bibliography.

but you have internationally published fiction. you can do whatever the fuck you want.

seriously, if you have a fan base in fiction the standards of ordinary mortals no longer apply.

traxus4420 said...

here's an interview with a guy who wrote a history book about the inquisition of a 16th century miller, a peasant, for his heretical philosophy.

S.S.: Carlo, you come from a family of intellectuals and writers, in short from a world where books and paintings must have been familiar to you from your early years. Were you ever tempted to be a creative writer, a film-maker or a painter rather than a historian? What do you think drew you to history? Were there some particular intellectual influences, and can you remember a time when you decided to take the turn to history in a definitive way rather than something else ?


C.G.: I grew up surrounded by books; my mother was a novelist; my childhood and youth coincided with the golden age of Italian cinema. Predictably, as a teenager I toyed with the idea of writing fiction. I had come across a remark by Cesare Zavattini, the script-writer of many Vittorio De Sica’s movies (including Bicycle Thieves, Umberto D. and so forth). Zavattini described his own approach as based on a kind of “roommate poetics” (poetica del coinquilino): that is participant-observation of a kind. This programme impressed me. I was sixteen; I planned to write an autobiographical novel based on myself and a few friends of mine, in which I would have recorded events from a very close distance – in real time, or nearly so. The main characters of the novel were my friend Giovanni Levi and I. My silly project failed nearly immediately; I quarrelled with Giovanni and we lost sight of each other for twenty years. In the mid-seventies we met again and began to debate with other historians (most notably, Edoardo Grendi) on a project we labelled “microhistory”, which inspired a series of publications, Microstorie, directed by Giovanni Levi and myself. The British historian John Brewer once suggested that Italian microhistory might have been related to Italian neorealist movies. As far as I am concerned, I think he was not far from truth.

My involvement with painting was perhaps more serious; it lasted some years. I was seventeen when I realized that I would have been a mediocre painter – as well as, probably, an awful novelist. But retrospectively I think that those two early failures shaped my later work as a historian. I enjoy writing; I am fond of narrative experiments; I have been working for twenty years on the competitive relationship between fiction and history. And I have been dealing with images of different kind – from Piero della Francesca’s frescoes to Lord Kitchener’s famous recruiting poster for the First World War.

My decision to study history was the result of a double experience. On the one hand, attending a seminar taught by Delio Cantimori, the great historian, on Burckhardt’s Meditations on World History; we read twenty lines in a week – for me, this exposure to slow reading was a revelation. On the other, reading Marc Bloch’s Les rois thaumaturges (in English: The Royal Touch). In a more implicit way I realize that I was walking in the shadow of my father, Leone Ginzburg: a philologist, historian, and literary critic. He died in a Nazi jail in Rome when he was thirty-five.

ryan manning said...

there is no tree

Hibernia said...

that's why you should write a history book

i get bored reading history almost instantly

but i read your blogs about history and i'm interested and all these new ideas are introduced to me and you aren't trying to be hifalutin or anything

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,