Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Juno

I saw Juno last night.

The movie won an oscar and was nominated for three more, and because of that it doesn't matter what I say. But I'm bored and will talk about it anyway.

The movie had parts I liked and parts I didn't like.

I liked that her dad was an HVAC man.

I liked the indie music. Have a question though, if she liked late 70s punk, how come we didn't hear one late 70s punk song in the movie?

Jason Bateman did a really great job at playing a douche bag.

This movie won best screenplay: but in the movie the writer tries using big words and doesn't use them right. Juno says the phrase, "Critically important." I know she means "really important." But critical isn't the word. Critical means to be focusing on the positive and bad things of something, to give a critique. It sounds right, but not really.

Juno also says something is "exponential." I can't remember exactly how she says it. But she uses the word "exponential" to describe something that was static. Exponential means to increase over time. It can't describe something static.

There was a lot of this using of words in a fucked up manner.

It really fucks with me that a huge movie can be considered intelligent and indie and wonderful can have a bunch of people not using words correctly. That no one on the set was like, "Hey, that's not how you use that word."

I have this image in my head of a camera man standing there thinking, "She didn't use that word right, but I wanna keep my job."

The director seems to worship Wes Anderson, the problem is that Wes Anderson is really informed on a million movies and directors and techniques on how to direct. But Jason Reitman is only informed about Wes Anderson.

But you know what, it was probably the only movie that came out last year with talking that was any good.

No, wait, The Darjeeling Limited that was actually a Wes Anderson movie. But there wasn't much talking in The Darjeeling Limited, and no sappy father daughter scenes.

But look at it like this: except for the indie music and her wearing weird clothes Juno is basically a Lifetime movie with Valeria Bertinelli.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I like this post.

We do not have a movie theater in my town. I watched The Darjeeling Limited Twice last week. I did not watch Juno. I assumed it would be another Garden State.

KEN BAUMANN said...

I agree.

When she said exponential, I looked at my friend and shook my head no.

That movie made me shrug.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,